Friday, October 9, 2009

About the Box: Simon Powers takes us to the Beach

san francisco mobile museum, sf mobile museum, simon powers, mortati, denver community museumCurator's Note: As part of extending the "Looking for Loci" exhibit, I'm gathering additional stories from participants, and putting them online. Simon Powers is from Denver, so I don't know him/her. Oddly enough, I grew up near this location so it has special meaning for me too.

Looking for Loci, by Simon Powers (Denver)

My Genius Loci is at Rye Beach. I practically grew up on this beach. Rye Beach/Playland is located on Long Island Sound. My sister and I would watch the sailboats go by as we played for endless hours in the sand and water. We could glimpse the ferris wheel of the nearby amusement park as it went endlessly round and round. We could hear the happy laughter of the children playing.

The beach and the romance of those times is always with me. A special place where both my mother and father and aunt and uncle had their first dates. Sun, Sand and Sea - on a summer afternoon everything anyone could want.

san francisco mobile museum, sf mobile museum, simon powers, mortati, denver community museum

No comments:

Post a Comment