Sunday, January 31, 2010

About the box: DCM curator's garden

Curator's note: This is part of extending the Looking for Loci exhibit. Looking for Loci co-curator Jaime shares:

jaime kopke, denver community museum, san francisco mobile museum, sfmobilemuseum, looking for loci
Genius Loci: My Garden, Denver
By: Jaime Kopke

I live in a tiny white house that used to be home to the carousel horses over 100 years ago. Set back from the street, hidden by a row of unkempt hedges, sits my magic garden. An enormous century-old rose bush guards the decrepit gate. The vines and the weeds are constantly creeping in, though I battle them only half-heartedly because I love the wildness of this place. Rose bushes of every color and scent fill one side, while the other hosts my overgrown plot of vegetables and flowers. It’s a place where potted plants rest next to wooden saints and candles hang from the trees. This old house is filled with history and secrets and the garden is where they are hidden.
jaime kopke, denver community museum, san francisco mobile museum, sfmobilemuseum, looking for loci

No comments:

Post a Comment