Thursday, January 14, 2010

About the box: Predominanty about birds

marielle butters, denver community museum, san francisco mobile museum, sfmobilemuseum, looking for loci
Genius Loci: The Bird Room, Loveland, CO
By: Marielle Butters


In my youth my father bred birds – watching these magnificent creatures from my height of two feet I began to obtain the uncanny notion that they were not only imprisoned physically by a metal cage but they were, like people, mentally caged by schemas and perceptions strong as steel that may never be forsaken.

As a child I pitied the birds for living in such a small space, but in truth, that space is no smaller than that set aside for each person who can see only so far in a society plagued by hegemony.

Curator's note: Marielle is the niece of Looking for Loci contributor Alan Disparte.
Marielle Butters, denver community museum, san francisco mobile museum, sfmobilemuseum, looking for loci

No comments:

Post a Comment